Friday, January 3, 2014

Do it Afraid

 As a young child, fear became very real to me.  I remember when fear was first planted in my life.  I dreamed I was in a tall stadium at the steepest point completely alone.  I was petrified with fear of heights in the dream. At that point, I was made familiar with all the feelings of terror.  A  seed of fear was deeply implanted in my heart and mind.





 Fear is a very real enemy that we all experience. It lurks around every corner, creeps into our minds every hour, surprises when we least expect it, and throws us violently into moments of weakness. Fear is looming and patiently waiting with claws out and fangs ready to suddenly pounce on you without warning, and overcome you with terror.  

As a young child, fear became very real to me.  I remember when fear was first planted in my life.  I dreamed I was in a tall stadium at the steepest point completely alone.  I was petrified with fear of heights in the dream. At that point, I was made familiar with all the feelings of terror.  A  seed of fear was deeply implanted in my heart and mind. Throughout my life fear was cultivated until the giant of fear itself was larger than any trial I should have feared.

I was afraid of junior high, afraid of high school, afraid of getting fat, afraid of failure, afraid of being in the military, afraid of leaving the military, afraid of chronic illness, afraid of death, afraid of losing someone I cared for, afraid of being abandoned, afraid of being rejected, afraid of heights afraid, afraid, afraid......  The big ugly monster of fear stood looming over my every move. Fear would make me freeze and over analyze every situation until even false realities became real in my head.  Fear became such a reality to me that it presented itself in physical maladies.  I was tested in the military for dyslexia and ADD.  All findings were inconclusive and I was cleared from having dyslexia or ADD. The true diagnosis was my  mind was spinning with fear and confusion.  My head was so clouded with fear that I could not see or think straight.  

Fear is familiar to all  and is a foe that should be dealt with it keeps us in bondage and prevents us from moving forward in God's best.
I want to look at a particular story in the Bible of a widow women that was filled with fear.  She was alone with her son living through a two year drought.  She was down to her last amounts of oil and flour and was waiting to die.  Then she was asked to do a courageous thing from the prophet of God, Elijah.  Elijah called to her, "Bring me a morsel of bread out of your hand."

I Kings 17:12 And she said, "As the Lord your God lives, I have not a loaf baked but only a handful of meal in the jar and a little oil in the bottle. See, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and bake it for me and my son, that we may eat it—and die."

The widow woman had every reason to be afraid, and not obey Elijah's commands.   Her statement was filled with dismay. She had very little will left in her to live. Her words weren't not filled with hope and optimism.  She did not erupt with words of faith. She did not proclaim, "  As you have said, Elijah, the Lord my God Shall surely do it!"  If you study the Hebrew definition of the word "die" as regards to passage of the widow women.  The word actually mean "to kill"  She was basically saying, "  I am waiting to be killed."  "Why don't you just go ahead and kill me and my son, Elijah.", "Death is surely imminent for me and my son."  


 What can we learn from the widow woman in this passage?  The element that most stood out to me is that she, "did it afraid."  "Do it afraid" is an old military term.  Military Sergeants would encourage us that it did not matter how we felt we should do it anyway.  That the mission was more important that our feelings.  Fear is only a feeling.  It does not determine the success or failure of what God is asking us to do.  If we submit to fear we can be frozen in whatever state we are, and not move to the greater things of God.  Today I encourage you to "do it afraid."  To move into the greater things of God.  In-spite of whatever you might see around you, whatever you might perceive the outcome,  or whether you are filled with insecurity about you abilities to complete the mission.  "Do it afraid."

For more articles on faith click on links below:

Like Moths to a Flame
God Loves You, God Loves Me, He's Got Great Plans for Our Lives
Ryan's Story
Are You Afraid in Your Own Home?
Looking from Afar
Do it Afraid
My Grievances with Greif

1 comment: