Thursday, November 7, 2013

Well Springs of the Heart

Proverbs 4:23 ESV
English Standard Version
Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.


vig·i·lant adjective \ˈvi-jə-lənt\
: carefully noticing problems or signs of danger

:  alertly watchful especially to avoid danger

keep verb \ˈkēp\
: to continue having or holding (something) : to not return, lose, sell, give away, or throw away (something)

: to continue in a specified state, condition, or position


KEEP your HEART with all VIGILANCE, for from it flow the springs of life.  When you go through any trial you must keep this in mind.  It truly ups the ante when you are living with a chronic illness.  It is extremely hard to wrap your brain around a small child going through such a hardship.  It is hard for the individuals experiencing it and the spectators.

I have truly felt a lot of emotions such as sadness, sorrow, regret, disappointment, anger, frustration.  Here is a little secret.  When we first got home from the hospital checking blood glucose was a beating.  I just was not good at it and Ryan was not very cooperative. Yep, He learned the word crap from me. Not proud of it but its the truth. Among all those emotions I have never questioned the faithfulness of God.
That's a good start and very important, but
"I am not only guarding my heart but I am guarding theirs."

obviously keeping your heart is very important.  I have to daily guard my heart.  I cannot allow fury, depression, hate, slothfulness, or even sorrow for too long, because it flows out of my life to my children, family and friends.  My kids are little and probably did not know what any of those emotions were until Ryan was diagnosed.  I have to be an example to my children of how to respond to all situations good or bad.  
Daily Ryan gets very angry at his lot in life.  He yells, "No shot! No check my finger!"  It is my responsibility to teach him by example how to guard his heart, and to instruct him how to respond properly.  I essentially am not only guarding my heart, but I am also guarding my children's heart.  I cannot let bitterness, anger or un-forgiveness live in their lives. Guarding their heart starts with me guarding mine.

I would not be truthful if I said I never failed miserably at it, but the victory begins with the awareness that it is needed.  To be vigilant is to alertly watch, and I have to get rid of any sin immediately! 

So next week, I will be talking about issues of the heart in regards to trials and physical illness. 

****I am going to be honest and call this Texas Turkey Chili, because I like it spicy. My kids love it!  This was a stretch for me to write this recipe, because remember I am a feeler.  I add a little of this and some of that:) This one is super low carb.  So I am not going to worry with the carb count.

Texas Turkey Chili:

3 lbs of ground turkey
1/4 cup of chili power
1/8 cup of cumin
2 tbs of minced garlic
1 tsp of salt
2 cups of water
1/8 cup of paprika
1 can of rotel 
15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 white onion
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of pinto beans


Cook ground Turkey thoroughly.  Dice one whole onion.

                         
Add all ingredients in to pot with ground turkey.
Bring to boil, cover and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes.


If you want it a little thicker after it has been cooked for 25 minutes add two tablespoons of flour and cook for 15 min.
This is great over, nachos, hot dogs, fritos etc... Beka I want the recipe were you make a frito pie with mashed potatoes on the top. I'm just saying!


Shopping list  for November  11-15

Homemade Apple sauce
8 to 12 apples of any kind
cinnamon
Nutmeg
Apple Juice (You can also use water)
1 lemon

Homemade whole grain bread
5 cups of water
3 egg whites
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of honey
8 cups of flour
3 tbs of yeast
1 table spoon of salt
Makes 3 min loaves and 2 large loaves.  Freeze the ones you don't eat for another day.

Angela's  Green Beans2 to 3 cups Green Beans
2 tsp of minced garlic
1/cup of soy sauce
1 tbs of butter

This goes together for one yummy meal!  Something different for your pallet, and my kiddos eat every bit of it!

For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows


2 comments:

  1. Funny, you knew I would read this. :) To make the frito pie, just put a layer of mashed potatoes on the bottom of a casserole dish, layer chili on top, corn chips or fritos on top of this chili and shredded cheese on top of that. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so until the cheese is melted (assuming the potatoes and chili were already warm/hot). If everything is cold, I would heat the potatoes and chili first, then top with chips and cheese. Not the most healthy of dinners, but totally worth it (sometimes). Miss you guys! I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I can't wait to try this chili!! We've never had it before (well, I have - obviously) - but I'd love to try it out on my family to see what they think. :) I think they'll love it. And that bread - now I'm hungry! :) Totally need to try that, too - I love bread recipes.

    Your post brought tears to my eyes. What a powerful statement that we protect our children's hearts as well as our own. I had never thought of it that way before. that is really profound!

    ReplyDelete