Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Hospital/ Diabetes, Faith and Food.

As we were admitted to the hospital.  We were still in disbelief about the road before us.  Despite the battle ahead we were confident in God's faithfulness.  God had already shown His power in mighty ways in the first few hours at the hospital.  Andrew had applied for a Visa multiple times to China.  He had been continuously denied.  The exact moment that he would have landed in China was exact time we were notified of Ryan's diagnosis.

There are more moments than I can put into words how God showed His faithfulness. One particular occasion at the hospital stands out in my mind.  A dear elder's wife called me and asked, "What can I do to help."  Numb and in shock I answered, “I do not know?"  She replied,” I’ll come tonight so you can sleep." Not fully understanding the love of Christ shown through His servants. I kind of hesitantly said, "You can if you want.”  I spent most nights in the hospital alone. (I sent my husband home.  There was no reason to have both of us sleepy, and I wasn't going anywhere.)  The thought of not being alone gave me comfort, but I did not hold any hope that a companion for the night would be the outcome.  Even though I wanted it to happen.  I did not believe it would happen.  Not because I thought the elder's wife would not follow through, but because my disbelief and lack of ability to accept a gift.

Well, it happened!  I received the gift and she came, but I was continuously surprised.  I went to sleep. She sat up in the chair with coffee and an iPad. The hospital beds are pretty hard and you know how well moms sleep. When her child is sick. I woke up numerous times and she was still sitting in the chair iPad and coffee in hand.  She never went to sleep, her husband was dealing with illness, and she had long day of work the next day.  In-spite of the circumstances she never went to sleep!
As I was studying for the devotionals. I read a story about Elijah. Elijah had made Kind Ahab and Jezebel very angry.  He was afraid and ran away and hid under a tree.

I King 19:3-8
3 Elijah was afraid[a] and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” 5 Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep.
All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” 6 He looked around, and there by his head was some bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.
7 The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” 8 So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God.

When I read this scripture, I was overwhelmed with joy and began to cry. I was amazed of God's faithfulness in Elijah's trial.  God sent an angel, “Rest a little while eat. "" Your journey is too much for you."  The hospital was only the beginning of the long journey.  God in His faithfulness sent "angels"  "Rest a little while, eat, your journey is too much for you” My experience in the hospital was so similar to Elijah and how the angel cared for him, because of the angel Elijah was able to travel 40 days!
There are more "angels" than I can recognize, but to all the "angels" God sent me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you for hearing God's heart and helping me rest before the long journey.

Please in the comment note some of the "angels" God has sent you during a trail. Encourage others with you testimony and give enemy of our souls a big black eye!  No matter what devil says about our trial.  God's faithfulness is so much bigger!


For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows

*****In honor of friends and family, this recipe is from my sister-n-law Beka Sonley.  We thought it would be yummy holiday recipe.
As far as, carbs go this one’s a little complicated. I have to follow the recipe exactly.  I cannot go free or by feel. Which is my all-time favorite thing to do. Once I learn a recipe. I never look at it again.  So this has definitely been a stretch for me, and if the recipe does not give a carb count. I have to figure it out myself. Which is another stretch, because I hate math. I have to take everything that has carbs find out how many carbs in each ingredient.  I would have to divide the total carbs by how many dumplings I made and determine how many each dumpling is worth. Count how many dumplings Ry is given.  After he is finished eating determine how many carbs he actually ate.  Big bummer if he does not eat all of his food or parts of dumplings the math continues. I think to myself,” Well he ate 3/4's of each dumpling and each dumpling is worth....., so his total carb count is..."

Leftover Thanksgiving Dumplings:

9 Tbsp. of Flour      162 carbs 3 tbsp. of flour have 18 carbs
2 cups of celery       6 carbs
2 cups of carrots     12 carbs
1 onion                   15 carbs
3 cups stuffing        120 carbs
2 tsp. Garlic powder
3 Eggs


Total carb count for recipe 315 carbs. If I made 36 dumplings each dumpling would be 8.75 carbs.  Each dumpling would be 1.5 inches in diameter.  Each cup of stuffing makes 12 dumplings

Start by taking the turkey carcass and make broth with it. You cover the carcass with water and boil until you have a broth.  I usually taste it or look at the color of broth.  Remember, I WAS a feeler cook.  I go on a feeling :) I pick every last bit of turkey off the bones and use it for the soup. You can always add more, but I can usually get enough from the bones.

Sauté a chopped onion, carrots and celery and garlic towards the end of the sauté time.  I add the broth, turkey, salt, pepper and some herbs (usually bay, thyme and sage because I love, love, love them, but anything green works really).  Once the soup is together, I'll work on the dumplings.  Take leftover stuffing and for each cup of stuffing, use one egg and a few tablespoons of flour and mix it all together until you have a dumpling consistency. I can't say exactly how much since it depends on how wet the stuffing was to begin with. Once you have the dumpling consistency, drop mini meatball sized balls into the simmering soup. After about 5 minutes, they'll start to float and you know they're cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a powerful testimony! This is such a beautiful picture of what the church looks like when she is truly being what the Lord intended for her to be. This is very moving!

    ReplyDelete