Monday, November 18, 2013

"Mommy I Pooped!!!!"


The first sign that something might be wrong was that Ryan wasn't pooping.  We had spent 10 days in Ethiopia.  I did not notice that he was not having bowel movements at first because I was dealing with jet lag. Three days after we got home it came to my attention that he had not bowel movement since we got back.  I watched him for a couple of days, and tried a few home remedies to get him moving. Finally, I took him to the doctor.  The doctor said he spent 10 days with grandparents and was probably struggling with a diet change.  He also had an ear infection. "I'll give him amoxicillan and that should help him have a bowel movement and the ear infection."  Three days later still no sign of poop.  We went back to the doctor and we were sent to the hospital.  After 24 hours of insulin and I.V. Ryan started to make grunting noises and finally he pooped.  I remembered back before we went to the hospital that he wasn't  even making the funny faces or grunting.  His body was shutting down and his body was not functioning or trying to go to the bathroom.  When he pooped I was so happy!!!!

As we returned home and lived the life with diabetes. I always have the knowledge that as sleeps Ryan could have problems and not wake up.  I especially have concerns when he takes a longer nap than usual. I think to myself,  "I wonder if he's o.k.?"  "I wonder if I should wake him up and check his blood sugar?" "What if he's just really needs sleep?" "I would feel bad if I woke him up."  " I wish he would just wake up."  As I have this conversation in my head, finally, I hear the refreshing words.  He calls from his bedroom, "Mommy, I pooped!"  "Mommy, I pooped!"  I smile and my heart and mind is finally at rest.  Poop, its a sign of life. 


One thing to remember about life is that it can get messy sometimes.  Nobody likes to clean a dirty diaper, but for me it is a joyful sign.  Just because life seems messy does not mean God is not moving.  In fact, often messes happen because their is activity, and activity equals life. Clean up the mess and move on and wait for the next sign of life and growth.
Proverbs 14:4
 Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox.



DSC_0202

Yep, I just went there. In honor of the previous entry.  Today's recipe is a chocolate sheet cake:)  I hope you enjoy!!!!
For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows

Chocolate Sheet cake
Pioneer Women's chocolate sheet cake is the same recipe I grew up with.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! Yes you did go there. I love Pioneer Woman - I need to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete