Saturday, November 23, 2013

Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows



You might wonder if I have ever wished diabetes away or wondered what it would be like if I never had to take another blood sugar or give another shot. I would be untruthful if I denied that .I have had those thoughts on many occasions. Once I asked my husband, "If we ran away do you think diabetes would stay home?" The Lord healed and directed me through the following passage. 

1 Kings 19:19-21 Amplified Bible (AMP) 
19 So Elijah left there and found Elisha son of Shaphat, whose plowing was being done with twelve yoke of oxen, and he drove the twelfth. Elijah crossed over to him and cast his mantle upon him. 20 He left the oxen and ran after Elijah and said, Let me kiss my father and mother, and then I will follow you. And he [testing Elisha] said, Go on back. What have I done to you? [Settle it for yourself.] 21 So Elisha went back from him. Then he took a yoke of oxen, slew them, boiled their flesh with the oxen’s yoke [as fuel], and gave to the people, and they ate. Then he arose, followed Elijah, and served him.

Elisha was working in his parents fields.  He had a job, a call, and a home.  Then the prophet of God, Elijah, asked him to follow him. Immediately Elisha kissed his parents goodbye and killed the oxen and burned the plows.  He said goodbye and burned anything that had to do with his past life.  Anytime anyone in the Bible showed regret and looked back from the call they were currently walking suffered consequences.  If I dream of the day that could be or once was.  I can be swallowed by heartache and regret.  I would not be living or walking in the blessing that is overflowing me today.  I would just look back and hope for something that was. I will never live a day again that diabetes is not a part of the road I have walked.  Even if Ryan has a miraculous healing and I never have to give another shot.  It would still be tomorrow.  Diabetes would still have been a part of my life.  I have to walk with God and not look back; live for the hope in the future; the blessings of today, and kill the oxen and burn the plows.  



For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows

******How to save money and shop organic:
A few pointers from me and Beka(sister-n-law) Thanks Beka!!!! 1) Don't stress too much If the budget isn't there for organic, then it isn't there. Eating healthy homemade food is already waaaaay better than eating fast food. I have to tell myself this frequently when I'm debating spending that extra few dollars on the organic item vs one dollar for the non organic one. Sometimes, it just makes more sense to save a few dollars (I've heard some arguments against this thought process, but seriously, is buying all organic food worth the mental stress of not having enough for another bill? No, I don't think so.) On a side note, I have to say that I HATE that organic is more expensive than non. Less than 100 years ago, ALL food was organic, now we have to spend more just to buy the same veggie, just grown the way God designed it to grow. Back to the tips for buying - If there's some wiggle room, figure out which organic things are most important to you. For many people, focusing on buying organic fruits and veggies that are on the Dirty Dozen is a good place to start. 2) Look at the eat out money. If you go out to eat to a place that isn't fast food, we can easily spend more than $30. Even if we are being conservative and get water, no appetizers and stay on the cheap end of the menu, it's probably going to be $20. Well, even using organic food, making a homemade meal is going to be less than half that price and will probably be better for us anyways. 3) Make everything count extra aka, use every single possible leftover always. Don't throw anything away without asking, could I use this some other way. my big ones are: - vegetable butts (I know, strange name) I use onions and garlic in so many things. Dave eats carrots every day as a snack. I love celery. Why does this matter? It means i end up with a lot of carrot, celery and onion ends and the leftover garlic paper after I squish it through the garlic press. I call all of them vegetable butts and they go into a jar in the freezer for when I make chicken broth. This means I can make broth without having to dedicate an entire onion, etc to make the broth more tasty. Since I would otherwise throw those pieces in the trash, it feels like I'm getting free veggies. - bones - I save bones whenever possible. Organic/free range chicken and grass-fed beef are going to be more expensive than regular meat. By buying a "cheaper" cut of beef with a bone or getting a whole chicken instead of just breasts, I save a little bit of money AND get bones for broth. Yes, I also stick bones in the freezer to use later if I don't need broth right away. I also admit to taking bones home from a restaurant in a to go container to use later. - apple cores - I eat apples a lot. Instead of eating them off the core, I cut them off and put the core in a bag in my freezer. When the bag is full, I make applesauce with the cores. It helps to have a food mill to get the seeds out, but isn't absolutely necessary. You can just cook the apple cores down and fish out the seeds. 4) Make some snacks at home. Organic snacks are expensive, plus they are often just as junky as the non organic version, so why bother? I make granola bars and yogurt for snacks, and have a few recipes for larabars that I also want to try. I won't break down the price savings for all of these, but I have for yogurt. I can buy organic yogurt for 3.29 for 32 ounces. I can buy organic milk for 6/gallon. If I get the milk and make my own yogurt, I've made 4 times the yogurt for $6, instead of $13. 5) Make some condiments at home. I typically make my own balsamic vinaigrette. I alternate between buying ketchup and mustard and making my own depending on how much time I have. 6) Join a CSA. This is by far the best cost savings I have ever experienced. The one I found broke out to about 26/week for almost enough veggies and plus a little extra to freeze for later. This particular farm also let us come out on the weekends for extra veggies and fresh eggs, so I was really fortunate to find him. Unfortunately, I can't buy from him any more without spending way to much money in gas to meet him at his drop off points. 7) Cheat the meat. Pull 1/4 lb of ground meat out of any ground meat dish and replace it with 1/4 lb lentils or some other bean that would go with the dish. It's not super noticeable and after 3 ground meat meals, you have enough cheater ground meat for a whole other meal (plus the 1/4 lb of beans). The same idea can be done with ground liver, instead of beans. Liver is supposed to be good for you, but is also super cheap. Figure out what freezes well and what doesn't and how to freeze things appropriately. Peppers are so awesome. You can chop them up and just freeze them. Collards and spinach have to be blanched first. Tomatoes can go in whole after removing the core. This way if something happens to go on sale, you can get a bunch to use later at the sale price. (I think now is an appropriate time to warn you that people have accused me of having a very scary freezer. It's all the jars and bags of homemade/on sale items/veggie butts. I do label my stuff though, so it's not scary to me...) 8.) Beans, Beans and rice...Make beans the from dry beans, easy, cheap and filling. 9.) Freeze berries that are going bad and use for desserts and for smoothies:)
****Good Websites to purchase organic products:
crunchmamasgoods.com 
hardlotion.com
trilighthealth.com

****Recipe I missed Wednesday:
Turkey Meatload with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes:
*****This recipe is very good, and yummy as leftovers.  Put it between bread and add mayo:) Yum!!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/turkey-meatloaf-with-feta-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow - there is a treasure trove of information. I really gleaned from the meat section. Meat here is really expensive...(in fact, we just plain don't eat beef at all. Unless they have stew beef on sale...but that is rare and it's the only beef I ever buy). I used ground mixed meat - and mixing in liver (which I have in my freezer and don't know what to do with...) and lentils - which I sometimes do...is really great info.

    And your lesson here is so important. Accept our past as being a part of who we are - our testimony, our story - and stop trying to wish it were different. Make peace with it and let God use it for His glory. You need to compile this series into a book. I'm serious about that.

    ReplyDelete