Monday, November 11, 2013

If There is Any.......





Philippians 2:1-4 
If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. 







You might assume the first feeling when Ryan was diagnosed was anger.  I guess my very first thought was disbelief and shock, but as I walked through the hospital my first emotion was actually empathy.  Wow! its amazing how God speaks to you in a trial if your heart is turned toward Him. You have unexpected emotions.  I felt true compassion and empathy for all the children at Cook's experiencing physical illness. My  thoughts turned to the pain, sadness, hopelessness, loneliness they might feel.  I realized how in the past I had been wrapped up in myself and selfish.

Remembering only months before Ryan was diagnosed I visited my childhood friend, Heather.  As we were leaving she started to cry and say, " Miss you and love you."  Even though I knew  that she had been dealing with severe headaches and truly needed a friend.  Feeling overwhelmed I thought to myself," " I am stretched so thin."  "I have nothing left to give."  She called me shortly after we returned home. Unfortunately, I did not return her call, not knowing that she would be gone forever only two weeks later. Her death made me regret the thought that,  "I had nothing left to give."  As I walked through the hospital only months after her funeral.  God told me," I had more to give."
"Hello,my name is Ryan.""I have Type 1 Diabetes."I decided to color you a smile."
Even though, it is very hard for me and my mommy to be here.  Jesus loves you God Bless.


The photo  above is of  Ryan's coloring sheet.   We went to color pictures for shut-ins, individuals at nursing homes and hospitals.  " I was excited for the opportunity to have my children to learn to serve. The morning of the event had already been very eventful and stressful.  All incidents were directly related to diabetes.  Driving into the parking lot of the event I saw a handicapped sign. Discouraged I wishfully wanted to park there, because I felt handicapped.  Anytime I leave the house is a trial just to get out the door, and I was already exhausted at 10:00 a.m. Crying as I walked to the pavilion.  I pulled down my sunglasses so no one would notice my tears.  I just wanted to give up, but I fought the emotion to throw in the towel and go home.  I had more to give. Determined to not let the morning prevent me from teaching my children to serve the community. I reminded myself of the verse in Philippians.  Each time I feel overwhelmed with life and have an opportunity to serve.  I ask God,"  Is there any encouragement, love and service in me?"  If he replies,"Yes" I follow without hesitation.  Notice I ask God and not myself.  God is more aware my heart and my abilities.  I could have let defeat and discouragement overcome me and go home, but I guarded my heart vigilantly and reminded myself of the scripture in Philippians.  I served at the "Color Me a Smile" event with a glad heart and a grateful attitude.

You might feel like I did, " I am stretched so thin."  "I have nothing left to give."  God might surprise you and ask more of you.  Do not hesitate to follow the reward is more than the sorrow.


Philippians 2:1-4 
If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. 
For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows

Apple Sauce:

1/2 cup of apple sauce has 20 carbs.



This is a very fun recipe to do with kids.  The recipe has very good photos, and Isaac use a science definition to "observe" to complete the recipe.   We also learned about "decay". We found apples that had brown spots and were decaying.



http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/10/homemade-applesauce/


We are going to put this entire meal together this week recipe by recipe.  It is very yummy and sweet and savory.

1 comment:

  1. Again - so profound. So often we seek counsel from our own heart and understanding...and we listen to our own thoughts rather than turning to God and His Word. I am so guilty of that. Our flesh will always give us a way out of what we don't want to do - but the question is: does the Lord want us to press on? Such an important less you are sharing here!

    ReplyDelete