Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Going Home/Diabetes, Food, Faith

I asked to stay another day in the hospital, because of the fear that I was not ready to care for Ryan on my own.  I dreaded being alone having to care for him. I was consumed with fear of being forgotten. The dreadful words would roll around in my mind over and over again.  "They'll forget us once the new has worn off.""  It'll be just like when close someone dies.""Two weeks later your all alone in your journey of sorrow."
Once I remember sitting in a church service surround by friends and church members.   I looked around, "They have already forgotten." "They do not know how much I need them."  Then the Lord gently reminded me of a scripture.


See! I Will Not Forget You.
I Have Carved You on the
Palm of My Hand.

(Isaiah 49:15)




He said to me,"  If  I will not forget you.  They will not forget you, because they are my body.  If they are seeking after my heart. I will not let them forget you.
I was filled with peace by His words, but in the back of my mind I was still anticipating being forgotten.  Fast-forward almost a year later, we were encouraged to start a fundraiser for Ryan. Andrew began to build a page on Facebook and before he finished people were asking, "How can we help?"  Within 48 hours we had enough money for the pump, continuous glucose monitor, and within a week had enough for a lot of the hospital bills. Amazed at the response one night I walked into our T.V. room and said, " Andrew, They have not forgotten us." " They have not  forgotten Ryan."


                             "26740191507164173_XdIrAHsD_c
Whatever trail you are walking through remember that Christ has not forgotten you and He will not let His servants forget you.  You do For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plowsnot have to walk this road alone.



Chicken and Rice Vegetable Soup:
Brown rice
3 carrots
5 stalks of Celery
1 whole chicken or 3 to 4 chicken breast(making your own chicken broth)
1 box of chicken broth
Salt and pepper to season
1 Can Kidney beans
2 cups of fresh green beans
4 to five New potatoes(red)
1  white onion


Garnish Cilantro and  diced jalapeno

**** 1/2 a cup of rice has 34 carbs, 1/4 cup of kidney beans has 10 carbs (yes, beans have carbs. I have to count for those also. His body has zero ability to process sugar, 1 slice of french bread 7 carbs.  The carrots and celery have so little carbs I probably would only count them by looking at them.  I can look at amounts of food now and tell you the amount.  I'm getting really good at math:)

First put raw chicken in to large pot and cover with water.  Bring chicken to a boil and turn to medium heat or about 35 min or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.  You may also use a whole chicken, and peel chicken from bone.  Boiling chicken from bone has the healthy properties when you are sick.  That is why grandma used to give you chicken soup when you were ill.
After you have boiled chicken cut into small pieces, and keep broth for soup.
Dice onions very small.  It it more like a fresh seasoning.
Saute onions in butter until they sweat. (about a minute)
After they sweat put onions into chicken broth. 
Pics of all vegetables are not featured.
.Dice carrots, celery, potatoes, and green beans an put into chicken broth.
Add kidney beans, whole garlic cloves, cooked chicken, onions and box of , into the broth you made(Just for a little extra juice and flavor).  Watch out for the garlic cloves when your eating. They look a little like chicken:)  Andrew actually ate one last night tehee hee.  Bring soup to boil and bring down to medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are softened.  Garnish with cilantro and diced jalapenos for a little extra zing. I even put a little drop of  Louisiana hot sauce.  Pour over brown rice.  Do not put brown rice into entire soup.  The rice sucks all the broth out. The bread is quit yummy with french bread.  2 large bowls is only about 400 calories.  It is very filling and I can usually only eat one bowl.  Add the bread you can get yourself into a little trouble though :)

1 comment:

  1. This sound amazing!!! This is a dish my husband would love! I am soooo incorporating this into our regular menu!

    ReplyDelete