Thursday, November 14, 2013

All of Us........

 
The Holland Family




Everybody deals with a traumatic experience differently.  There are so many experiences that brought laughter and helped us understand each other,but there are two that are most prominent in my mind.   The first time the kids came to the hospital happened to be the first time I had to give Ryan a shot.  Surprise kids! diabetes 101 the first time you see Ryan since diagnosis you get to watch him get a shot!  Well, as to be expected multiple nurses and Andrew had to hold Ryan down.  He was screaming at the top of his lungs.  I looked at Rachel and the color had gone from her face.  Oh, where's Isaac in all this?!  Where's Isaac?!  A friend had brought Ryan an Elmo book that had drums.  Oh, there's Isaac,  He's behind the chair beating the drums.  He gets louder, louder and louder as Ryan's screaming escalates.  At that point I figure out mmm...... I guess that's how Isaac deals with stress, escapism.
A couple of days later Andrew and I were carting Ryan around the hospital a little red wagon.  As we walked by the hospitals build a bear.  I said,"We should get Ryan a bear."  "  We can get a hospital gown, and a wagon."  "Something to remember his hospital stay."  My husband jokingly say, "Yah, and we can name it Diabetes Ryan."  I have to tell you it struck me so funny. His sarcasm made me laugh so hard.
So within a week stay at the hospital.  I learned that Isaac escapes, Rachel gets stressed, Ryan gets really angry, mom comforts and tries to fix everything, and dad uses humor.

O.K.  lets go retro here.  Do you remember when in high school when America was called a Melting Pot?  Well, I had one history teacher say that, " We weren't called a melting pot anymore.The Melting Pot terminology came into play because as Americans.  We came from so many different countries and origins." But the comparison had changed to a salad.  We were all mixed together but kept our uniqueness.  Personally, I like the melting pot reference better.  Beware of America the Salad!!!! But really in a family God made us all very different.  We all respond to tragedy differently. It can feel like your in a tornado trying hang on to everyone and meet their needs.

So what do I do when so many members of my family have different needs?  What do I do when one,"Can't handle to pressure."; another covers his ears a closes his eye at stressful moments,  another makes jokes when it is a serious situation, one screams angrily, and the other tries to fix it all?  Well,  the answer might not be as profound a you think.  I ask for help from Christ.

James 1:5
English Standard Version (ESV)
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.



When we ask for wisdom we can guarantee that it will be given to us and will be amazing advice.
James 3:17
English Standard Version (ESV)
17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

Yep, that's all folks just ask God.
For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows

Homemade Bread

5 cups of warm water
3 egg whites
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of honey
8 cups of whole grain flour
3 tbs yeast
1 tbs salt
*Makes 2 large loaves and 3 mini loaves


Add 5 cups of warm water, olive oil, honey, yeast, egg whites, and 4 cups of flour  to Bosch or KitchenAid mixer.  Mix thoroughly and and slowly add flour one cup at a time; until dough comes away from the edges of mixer.  It usually ends up being about 4 more cups.  Cover dough and let rise for at least one hour.  You can leave it a let it rise as long as you want to. After dough has risen at salt and mix.


You can also make a cinnamon, sugar, butter mixture and add to center of flattened out dough; shape in to bread pan. It makes a yummy cinnamon bread.  Preheat oven to 350. Let dough rise on preheating oven for one hour in bread pans.  Cook for 30 to 45 minutes depending on your oven.






1 comment:

  1. Wow - that's really interesting how that one experience really brought out each individual in your family. Made me think: how do each of us respond in my family. I love your bread recipe - I need to try that (wow - I'm going to be doing a lot of baking now! lol!!) I love homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete