Thursday, October 24, 2013

November Challenge

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month.  My son was also diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on November 2, of 2012.  In honor of Ryan, this month I will be having a challenge.  Type 1 Diabetes is not a result of food, but now has everything to do with food.  So on Monday, Wednesday,Friday of each week of  November I will be adding  a devotional describing how it is has been to live with Diabetes over the last year, and how God has strengthened us through it all.
I will also be adding recipes  on Monday, Wednesday and Friday that I have tried to help Ryan, Grandmas's recipes, Mom's recipes,and some of my very own.  On each recipe I will add little notes on how I look at food differently due to diabetes, and if my family"Ran from the table screaming and crying" or  if " I cried tears of joy!" because they actually liked it.

Now here is the challenge part.   I want you to try some of my the recipes.  I want you to add some of your recipes to my comments.  I also would like you to add on the comments how your family responded to your and my recipes.  Let us know if  they" Ran from the table screaming and crying" or if "I cried tears of joy!" because they actually liked it.  The challenge will start on November 2, 2013.  I think this will be a lot of fun for everyone!

I will also have a drawing for all those who participate!   You will have the opportunity to win "Praying God's Word" by Beth Moore and "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis.  You will be entered each time you look at my sidebar of my blog and follow me, and each time you comment on each article or participate by cooking.
Some of my article titles will be:
" How We Found Out", "Mommy, I Pooped!", "Anger", "Kill the Oxen and Burn the Plows".

Below is the first weeks grocery list:
*** I divided the grocery list by what is needed for each recipe.  Just in case you cannot be involved every meal.

These are my one pot wonders! I made up on my own or adjusted recipes with my own style.
Homemade Turkey chili
2lbs of groundturkey
1cans of Kidney beans (I usually make my beans from scratch)
1 can of pinto beans
Chili powder
Cumin
Paprika
Garlic powder or 3garlic gloves
1 white onions
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
1 can of rotel or diced tomatoes to make recipe mild
15 oz can of tomatoe sauce

The "Pasta Dish"
1 bag of pepperoni or turkey pepperoni
8 oz of cream cheese
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (meat sauce flavor)
1 8oz bag of mozzarella cheese
Pork breakfast sausage
1 box of whole wheat or white rotini pasta

Vegetable Chicken and Rice Soup
Brown rice
Carrots
Celery
1 whole chicken or 3 to 4 chicken breast(making your own chicken broth)
1 box of chicken broth
Salt and pepper to season
1 Can Kidney beans
Fresh green beans
New potatoes(red)
1  white onion
Garnish Cilantro and  diced jalapeno

Leftover Turkey Dumplings
Leftover Turkey Carcass
Carrots
Onions
Celery
Leftover dressing
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Bay
Thyme
Sage
Garlic
1 egg

All the meals are easy and hearty. They are all healthy.  The "Pasta Dish" is questionable, but add a salad and it is not too bad.

For more articles on "Food, Faith, and Diabetes" click on links below:
How We found out
The Hospital
Going Home
Well Springs of the Heart
All of Us
Mommy I Pooped!!
If There is Any.....
Sorrow for the Night
I Will Try to Fix You
Kill the Oxen Burn the Plows


2 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I have you as a winner on my blog giveaway for Housewife Theologian (at dontletlifepassyouby.blogspot.com) if you could email me your contact info at photosformax (at) yahoo.com I'll be happy to forward your info to the publishing people.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lot of fun!!!! I'm passing the word!

    ReplyDelete