Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Like Moths to a Flame

“Like moths to a flame, we are all drawn to something. What are you drawn to? Once we choose our source, the alluring light draws us to it like a beacon. It becomes our life source and we cannot live without it. It determines our direction and how we’re protected. It determines our focus and vision.”

One morning, I was busily moving around the house attempting to manage my household. I was trying to fulfill my motherly duties: cleaning, feeding, helping, and affirming.  Even as I tried to meet every need and direct all their steps, each child would return within a moment to express another consuming desire.   I suddenly felt overwhelmed.   I thought to myself, “It is impossible for me to meet all their needs. No matter how organized, in charge, or confident I am, they still need direction in everything.”

Later that day, I was sharing with my husband how challenging it had been with our children.  Exasperated, I said, “I am like a flame and they are moths. They cannot stay away from me!” 

There are a few theories on why a moth is attracted to a flame.   Some scientists have suggested that moths have an understanding that flying downward into darkness equals danger, and as they move up toward the light of the moon, there is safety.  Somehow, intrinsically, moths know there is safety in the light.  Another theory is that their eyes are similar to human eyes in that they adjust to light. If it moves away from a light source, the moth will be rendered temporarily blind. A third theory is that the light leads the moth and helps it navigate. The moth uses the light as a primitive navigational tool, guiding it along the way.

Like moths to a flame, we are all drawn to something. What are you drawn to? Once we choose our source, the alluring light draws us to it like a beacon. It becomes our life source and we cannot live without it. It determines our direction and how we’re protected. It determines our focus and vision. All of us are looking for a source of light and guidance as we walk through life. The world tells us that job security, money, family, a good home, and a good community are our source.  We have an understanding that these things will give us direction, hope, a future, and security.  But as we make these things our source, we are left blind, directionless, and out in darkness without safety.  The scripture is quite clear about who and what our source should be.

1 Corinthians 8:6
Yes, for us there is only one God, the Father, Who is the source of all things and for whom we have life, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through and by whom all things and through and by whom we ourselves exist.


I grew up in church.  My dad was a pastor; my uncle a worship minister; my grandmother was a children’s pastor for 20 years.  Since the day I got married, I have been a pastor’s wife.  Even though my foundation was strong, I continually have to question my self.   I have to ask myself if I swarm my Savior, like my children return to me constantly. Do I return to Him with my every need?  Do I depend on myself, my talents and skills to survive this life? Is there a way to recognize if He’s my source?  The most important thing I’ve learned is to ask Christ if I am making Him my source? Most of the time, He gently convicts and directs me down a new path of how to make Him my center.  The simple answer is it’s a daily battle to direct our hearts toward Him.  We are constantly drawn by the world, tempted by trials and depend on our own false sense of superiority, but as we look to Him we will find direction, safety and our sight. 

For more articles on faith click on links below:

Like Moths to a Flame
Ryan's Story
Are You Afraid in Your Own Home?
Looking from Afar
Do it Afraid
My Grievances with Greif
God Loves You, God Loves Me, He's Got Great Plans for our Lives

1 comment: